(BE) Salty...

Matthew 4:17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”


Our team is reading through Matthew this month correlating the day of the month with a chapter. I just read Matt 4 & 5 as I watched the snow fall to the ground. I know that we are not at chap 5 yet call me an overachiever but with everything happening in the Middle East particularly Egypt (which is now only Christian ally of The United States ) it seems the following verses really apply to us today:

Salt and Light

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.


Being Light and Salt in a nation that has religious freedom seems so easy. Least it seems it should be, yet we find it difficult to live out what we proclaim/profess to believe. It's ironic that it's difficult to stand for what we believe in a nation founded on Christian freedom and freedom of Christian speech. I wonder how much more it glorifies God for those "witnesses" in the Middle East and foreign nations where life is in danger for being "Salty?" It brings the following verses even more alive:

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Even now in the turmoilous times we know we have a faithful God who calls us to walk in faith. In fact we are not walking on new ground but standing on the shoulders of those who have gone before us the faithful who lived "Salty" lives even till death. May you have a "Salty" day what ever it brings from joy to persecution count it all glory to our faithful God who is true to His word and promises. Even in the uncertainty of what will happen in the Middle East, the future of our last Christian ally in a part of the world where Christendom was started we trust in our faithful God. Let's pray for those under persecution in the Middle East and around the world. Pray that God would strengthen them as they live professing their faith and trust in their King. May all praise and honor, glory to Him forever and ever, have a "Salty" day--AMEN.

ps here is a link talking about Egypt and their leaders in this crisis situation.

www.lakepointefamily.com

Comments

  1. Totally agree. We have to let the light of Christ shine in us all the time. But Jesus said this right after verses 11 and 12, which means it's probably especially in the context of persecution that verses 13-16 have their fullest meaning. May we be so moved by His grace that indeed we would suffer all, even death, in order to be salt and light! And may others see that boldness and come to praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Aaron! Going to Africa and seeing many freedom's that are restricted there as well as persecution of the poor really helped open my eyes. I still don't think I grasp the religious persecution that Jesus would refer to, it's been a while since Christ-followers have been thrown to the lions or lit like torches outside the city gates. Still, I want to be bold and lead a church that boldly leads unashamed of the Gospel message of Jesus Christ as Lord. God give us strength...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drun, I thought of you this morning when I read Matt 5:11 bro, made me smile...

    By the way for my 40th birthday my team sang "I think I, I think that I will..." followed by "go Vizion, go Vizion, go Vizion..go-go-go go!

    That too made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Mixed Martial Arts Share The Love Of Jesus?

In Greed We Trust?